Labourer slapped with felony charge

first_imgLabourer Clifford Rodney of Lot 19 Savannah Park, New Amsterdam appeared last Friday before Senior City Magistrate Leron Daly on a charge of attempting to commit a felony.He pleaded not guilty to the charge, which stated that on April 25, 2018, he gained forceful entry into VJ’s Fashions, the Avenue of the Republic business premises of Albert Ramlakhan, with intent to burgle same.Objecting to Rodney being placed on bail, the prosecutor told the court that on the day in question, Ramlakhan secured his place of business at 16:00h and left. He subsequently received a phone call from a security guard, who related that the accused was breaking into the building, but he was able to apprehend him.The Police were summoned and the accused was arrested and charged.Magistrate Daly placed Rodney on $100,000 bail, and ordered that he return to court on May 18, 2018 for statements in relation to his matter.last_img read more

OFFICIALLY the nicest footballer in the world – The Warm Up’s Linvoy Primus Special

first_imgDefender, charity worker, legend – Is anyone nicer than Linvoy Primus?That’s the question Max Rushden and Barry Glendenning have asked a host current and former professional footballers over the months on talkSPORT.The general consensus – No.The Warm Up duo even go as far as saying they are singlehandedly responsible for the Portsmouth hero’s soon-to-be awarded MBE (where he will meet the Queen, who may be the only person to come close to rivalling Linvoy’s niceness.)Don’t believe us? Listen to the clip above to hear it from the man himself…last_img

Saddam name displayed on death orders

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORECasino Insider: Here’s a look at San Manuel’s new high limit rooms, Asian restaurant One letter stated, “It was discovered that the execution of 10 juveniles was not carried out because their ages ranged from 11 to 17 years old. We recommend executing them in a secret manner in coordination with the management of the prison and the Mukhabarat.” An arrow runs from that sentence to the margin, where it is written by hand: “Yes. It is preferable that they are buried by the Mukhabarat.” The handwriting is Saddam’s, the prosecutor said, though he did not offer independent handwriting analysis or other proof to back his claim. Prosecutors say most of the documents are originals obtained after the fall of the regime. The tribunal’s statutes do not require guilt to be proved beyond a reasonable doubt, and human rights groups have raised questions about whether the trial can meet international standards in Iraq’s current state of chaos. The chief judge is the final arbiter of the documents’ authenticity, though he listens to both sides before making a decision. Other letters showed that intelligence officials mistakenly printed a death certificate for a 14-year-old boy. When they discovered he was still alive, they had him brought to Baghdad and hanged, according to the letter, addressed to Barzan Ibrahim, Saddam’s half brother and fellow defendant. Saddam, who in previous sessions often burst out laughing or sprung to his feet to deliver lengthy tirades, said almost nothing Tuesday. Dressed in a dark suit, he looked gaunt and subdued as he watched the documents, and never stood up. He said at one point, “I want to tell the media – there is no letter from me.” But his voice could scarcely be heard. BAGHDAD, Iraq – As Saddam Hussein watched quietly from the dock, prosecutors displayed on Tuesday what they said was his signature on orders of execution for 148 men and boys, some as young as 11, in what appeared to be the first evidence linking the former dictator to large-scale crimes since his trial began in October. The presentation was a striking turnaround for a trial that had been widely dismissed as a farce, with the defendants and their lawyers alternately refusing to appear and delivering angry tirades in court. The new material and more orderly atmosphere also suggested that the trial – which has come under strong criticism by Iraqi officials and human rights groups – may yet fulfill American hopes for a credible public forum on the crimes of Saddam’s rule. But it remains unclear what standard of proof they are using in authenticating the evidence. An unaccustomed hush fell over the courtroom as the lead prosecutor, Jafar Musawi, leafed through page after page of documents – displayed on a screen – in which mass executions are discussed as calmly as purchase orders. Many bore the letterhead of Iraq’s feared intelligence service, the Mukhabarat. Others were scrawled out by hand. Until now, much of the trial has been a flamboyant battle of wills between the chief judges on the one hand, and Saddam and Ibrahim on the other. But on Tuesday, Musawi quickly established himself as a new force in the courtroom. When Ibrahim began bickering with the current chief judge, Raouf Abdel-Rahman, the prosecutor interceded, pointing at Ibrahim and loudly demanding that he listen to the documentary evidence. As the documents were being read, the defendants stayed in their seats, seemingly stunned by the sight of their own names and signatures. “Does that document have the logo of the office on it?” Ibrahim interrupted at one point. When the prosecutor explained that the letter was an inter-office memo that would not have been written on letterhead, Ibrahim merely replied, in a weak voice, “these papers are not official.” Of the 148 men and boys whose death warrants Saddam is accused of signing, 96 were hanged in the Abu Ghraib prison, the documents showed. Forty-six died under torture, including four additional inmates who were accidentally added to the group. Ten boys and adolescents were executed in 1989, after they reached the legal age. For the first time, at least one of the defendants seemed to acknowledge a connection to the executions, which took place after an assassination attempt in the Shiite village of Dujail in 1982. “I have sentenced the 46 but I have no idea about the others,” said Awad al-Bandar, another defendant who was head of the revolutionary court when it ordered the executions. It was not immediately clear why al-Bandar believed this admission would be exculpatory. The trial’s resumption after a two-week adjournment – the latest of many – was something of a triumph for American officials. The sectarian violence that broke out last week after a bombing at a major Shiite mosque in Samarra had pushed the country to a full-scale crisis, with government operations largely shut down during three days of full-time curfew. It was uncertain until Monday night whether the trial would resume on Tuesday. “Particularly after all this turmoil, we think it’s a good sign that we were able to move forward” with the trial, said an American diplomat familiar with the court. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more